Electronic Health Records
Course Price ($): 600 Type: Online Duration (hr): 104
This course will provide students with the practical knowledge and skills required to work with electronic health records in today’s rapidly changing health care environment. The students will receive an in-depth and practical training on a widely used Electronic Health Record software program. Students will be able to apply theoretical knowledge to equip them to successfully enter the medical community with a comprehensive working experience
and understanding of an EHR as well as their components.
Describe the functions of electronic health records and explain the advantages they offer physicians and patients over paper-based records.
- Recognize and discuss best practices for transition from a paper based record to an Electronic Health Record.
- Create a workflow to demonstrate how electronic health records are used in physician practices and other outpatient settings.
- Create a workflow to demonstrate how electronic health records are used in hospitals.
- Identify and describe the functions of a Regional Health Information Organization RHIO and explain how the RHIO is dependent on
- the Electronic Health Record.
- Identify and describe the functions of a Personal Health Record (PHR) and explain how the PHR is dependent on the Electronic
- Health Record.
- Explain the importance of and define the clinical standards as well as the HIPAA standards in the development of interoperable
- electronic health records.
- List the challenges that electronic health information poses to the privacy and security of patient’s health information.
- Identify and enter/manipulate Basic Demographic and Clinical Health Information
- Recognize and list Clinical Decision Support Tools
- Describe and enter/manipulate Physician Order Entry Screens and Electronic Prescribing
- Define, formulate and interpret Health Quality Information from an Electronic Health Record
- Exchange and accept Electronic Health Information from downstream systems
- Analyze and manage security on an Electronic Health Record system
- Arrange and create detailed workflows using an Electronic Health Record
Introduction to Electronic Health Records
- Electronic Health Records in the Hospital
- Electronic Health Records in the Physician Office
- Transitioning to an Electronic Health Record
- Need for Clinical Information Standards
- Personal Health Records
- Regional Health Information Organizations
- Privacy of Electronic Health Information
- Security of Electronic Health Information
- Demographics and Clinical Health Information
- Clinical Decision Support Tools
- Physician Order Entry
- Electronic Prescription Tools
- Quality Assurance of Health Information
- Exchanging and Sharing Health Information
- Managing Security in an EHR environment
- Workflow Management Tools
Upon completion of this course, students will have basic skills to perform duties as Medical Records Clerk, Health Information Clerk any modern computerized medical office. The course will introduce the basic functions of the Electronic Health Record, its’ benefit to us as healthcare workers and the benefit to physicians and patients. The course will explore the technological requirement for an Electronic Health Record system and discuss some of the available options. The course will also introduce the best practices for transition from a paper based record to an Electronic Health Record. It also discusses the current Health Information technology standards as well as the rules and regulations that govern the Electronic Health Record Software.